Thursday, December 13, 2012

SV Racer Project Beginning...

I bought my '07 SV650S at the tender, young age of 19. I've been talking about racing ever since but haven't got around to ever being able to go an do it. This past summer I stopped at the closest track I could find to watch some motorcycle road racing, and yup, I still wanna go racing :)

After reading up on a few forums, the suspension of the bike seemed to be the weak link, while the motor seems to be a real gem. So suspension from a GSX-R 750 is what the doctor (me) ordered.

Upon opening the first box, the Red Cat insisted on helping with the unwrapping... Good Kitty...


Mm Hmm, I loves me some gold calipers :) These babies are from an '05 600cc GSX-R, eBay find for a few bucks and they look to be in decent shape, just a little dusty and could use a good cleaning.


2007 GSX-R 750 cartridge forks to finally do away with the stock damper rod forks from the SV. The main reason I chose these is because
A) they will fit the bike
B) they are compression/rebound damping adjustable, as well as preload adjustable (the stock SV forks are preload adjustable only.) This adds a level of security and safety when riding hard where the forks may need adjusting to give greater compliance throughout the day.
C) Longest fork springs of the bunch of options that would fit
D) They're sexy :)


Annnnnd to bolt it all together, VOILA!! (That's right, I know French). I got these handy dandy triple trees and wheel/rotor combo to match!
The top tree is from the 2004 600/750 models, this keeps the steering lock working properly, the ignition key/switch dealy jobby can still go in the same place, and the steering stem lines up. The only thing I'll need is to find a machinist to bore the hole for the steering stem slightly (after a few weeks of researching, this was the least of all the evils that were possible)


Ain't it puuurdyy!!! Once I get a few little knick-knacks like caliper bolts, a fender, brake lines, and oh-I-dunno maybe a tire, then I can bolt this thing together an probably part out the stock front end.

No comments:

Post a Comment