Thursday, February 24, 2011

Some Random Projects...

Here's a few older projects of mine that range from the years 2004-2010. They're each a little different, some are pretty awesome and I love them, others are the kinds that I can't stand and was just glad to have them done but lots of other people liked them.

This is the "Big Hands Mural", it's about 7 feet tall by 4 1/2 feet wide. The trick was to tape a pencil to a stick that was three feet long, hold the end of the stick like the pencil, and as you move your hand the length of the stick makes your movements gargantuan and exaggerated. It was fun, but pretty tedious. I may try this again at some point but I'm not thinking about doing it anytime soon.


This is the "Dragon Skateboard". When I was younger, dragons and monsters were things that I would draw a lot. I was always into mythology and comic books as a kid, so doing odd animals and things along those lines I guess came as no surprise. I got into art classes in high school and started doing more traditional things but also liked doing abstract, pop art, expressive things, like skateboards and tattoo designs. The dragon was just an attempt to get back into that swing of drawing whatever I felt like and making art that didn't have to be this long, drawn out study of how something realistic looked. Not that I'm knocking traditional art, nor the importance of learning the fundamentals and doing studies as a way of progressing, I just like being able to goof around and have fun with it.



A vector of myself. One of the first things that I learned how to do with Adobe Illustrator. I was very excited to learn about the 'live paint' tool, which made this little piece quickly turn into four pieces with different color schemes for each face. I guess that aside from learning the program, this was more an attempt to study colors and their interactions with one another.



Playing with Photoshop can be fun. Just a picture of myself that I had used a few different filters on and also tried digitally drawing and painting over for different effects. A few people have told me that this is something that they really like, but it still is kinda on the fence with me. This is just a study and an experiment.



This one is something that I'm proud to say I made. There is a particular technique to freehand digital drawing and painting in Photoshop that I'm trying to get the chops for but haven't quite yet. After several attempts at this I tried to just draw whatever came to mind and then add things around it. I started with the eyes, then began adding the black and red in the background and played with different blending modes to see what would happen. I wasn't sure where to go from there and then left the project to sit for awhile. After watching "Kill Bill" and noticing the artwork on the cover of the dvd "The Number 23", I got the idea to do a tear away near the bottom and write a short monologue. It turned into kind of a dark, moody piece when I was done with it, but for one of my first tries with freehand painting in Photoshop, with no tracing or cut-n-paste images, I was thrilled :)


There's more of these things all over my DeviantArt profile (that's why some are watermarked). You can see other projects @ zenangel13.deviantart.com or if you're interested in buying something that's way more awesome than a Bieber poster from wal-mart, check out the Etsy store! www.ZenAngel13.Etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment